Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

IPod + Lightning = Major Headache

As a stroller in the most lightning prone state in the union, I read this with not a little horror. Imagine yourself, just passing through, your fav tunes playing, when Kaboom! Lightning hits the tree next to you.

Fortunately for humans, skin has high resistance to electric current. Unless something interrupts the flow, the lightning is often conducted over the surface of the body — a “flashover.” This didn’t happen to the Canadian jogger. His iPod didn’t draw the lightning strike. But when the flashover hit, the iPod, resting against the man’s sweaty skin, drew in the powerful electric current.The man had burns along his chest and neck where his earphone wires lay. The insides of his ears also were burned — and then the ear buds conducted the current into his head.The man’s jaw was broken on either side. His eardrums burst, and the tiny bones inside his ears were dislocated. One inner ear canal filled with blood. — CBS

I’ve been to concerts that blew my mind, but blow my jaws off? Yikes.

[tag]IPod, Lightning, Apple, Technology, Safety[/tag]

Tags:
Share and Enjoy:These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • blinkbits

7 Comments in 7 threads.»

Comment by Kevinin
2007-07-15 14:37:27

Outch, that must hurt …

Comment by Jet Netwal
2007-07-14 08:21:47

I went back and read the article in the New England Journal of Medicine, which was published July 12th, but they did not say what day the man was struck. They did cite several other papers referencing similar injuries, one of which cited 18 cases of ipod related injuries received during a lightning strike. It’s worth taking note of, I think.

Comment by Froenx
2007-07-14 04:59:20

Perhaps you misread what I wrote.  I was in the city in question (Burnaby, BC).  There was no thunderstorm, and not even a flash of lightning.If there was, I would have remembered such an event.  Not to mention it would make headlines the next day, which there were none.

Comment by Jet Netwal
2007-07-13 16:52:09

I meant to add, have you found Web MD to be an unreliable source, Froenx?

Comment by Jet Netwal
2007-07-13 16:49:31

We have documented lightning strikes in clearer weather all the time here in Florida, but I can’t speak for anywhere else.

Comment by tos
2007-07-13 16:36:20

I read about this in our paper yesterday.

Comment by Froenx
2007-07-13 15:21:43

I was in the city in question.  and to my recollection there was no thunderstorm. It’s quite rare for a thunderstorm to happen in that city.  It’s anywhere between drizzle and hard rain. I’m going to go with half-truth on this one.

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)
You may use <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong> in your comment.
Fish.Travel